What a finish!
Ursuline Track and Field followed its regional championship with a fourth-place finish at the TAPPS State Meet in Waco.
The Bears (73 points) edged out regional foe Midland Christian (72 points) and narrowly finished behind Concordia Lutheran (79 points) and St. Dominic Savio (78 points). St. Agnes won with 144 points.
Freshman Amanda Hogan and senior Elise Welch each won gold medals in the 1,600 and 3,200 meters, respectively. Amanda was also the runner-up Championship Athlete of the Meet. Hogan, who was the Regionals Athlete of the Meet, scored 20 points after adding a fourth-place finish in the 800 and 3,200 meters to her personal-best time in the 1,600 meters.
Elise, who will run at University of Oklahoma next year, also earned a bronze medal in the 1,600 meters.
"Elise's career was such a special one, and Amanda's future is so bright," Moody said. "Just this year Elise was a state track champion and was an individual state runner-up and team state runner-up in cross country. What a senior year."
Weather turned the state meet into a chaotic one. Instead of a two-day meet, all TAPPS 6A girls events were moved to Saturday.
The Bears relied on their strengths: short relays, vertical field events (high jump and pole vault), and the distance events. Senior Hannah Fee was second in the high jump, and seniors Sallyanne Tejan and Anna Katherine Coker, junior Erin Daugherty, and sophomore Megan Manning ran a PR to finish third in the 4x200 relay.
"The day was a long and challenging one, but the Bears persevered all while carrying themselves with poise and grace," Moody said. "Since our relays are comprised of the same four girls, they always run smoothly with seamless transitions between the relay legs."
Thirty seven of the 73 points at state were scored by seniors.
- High Jump: Senior Hannah Fee (2nd), Senior Destinee White (5th)
- Pole Vault: Junior Gabrielle Rauker (5th)
- 3,200 meters: Senior Elise Welch (1st), Freshman Amanda Hogan (4th), Freshman Katherine Reynolds (6th, PR)
- 4x100 meter relay: Senior Sallyanne Tejan, Junior Erin Daugherty, Senior Anna Katherine Coker, Sophomore Megan Manning (6th)
- 800 meters: Freshman Amanda Hogan (4th, PR)
- 4x200m relay: Tejan, Daugherty, Coker, Manning (3rd, PR)
- 1600 meters: Freshman Amanda Hogan (1st, PR), Senior Elise Welch (3rd)