The Ursuline Academy Used Book & Uniform Sale will be Saturday, August 4, in Haggar.
We are excited to welcome freshmen and transfer student families to the Ursuline Community! This New Students webpage will provide a place for announcements and information relevant to families of incoming freshmen and transfer students through August. It will filter out general school announcements posted for the current student body. We invite you to view the new Freshman Class Profile.
- Summer School 2018
- Online Enrollment
- Course Placement and Assessment for Incoming Freshmen
- Accommodations at Ursuline Academy
Frosh Start/Summer School
Summer School at Ursuline Academy offers our newest students the opportunity to grow academically while making new friends and becoming familiar with the campus and daily school life. Our program begins with Summer School New Student Orientation on Wednesday, June 6, and ends June 27.
You may choose from enrichment courses, including Frosh Start, or credit courses. Complete course descriptions, times, and details are available in the Summer 2018 Course Compendium found on the Summer School 2018 page.
Enrollment deadline: Friday, March 23, 2018
Ursuline Academy uses an online system called My BackPack (commonly called BackPack) to enroll students. It is also used throughout the school year. To accept your admission to Ursuline Academy, you must submit your Enrollment Agreement online through Backpack:
- If you are a current Ursuline family, log in to My Backpack and click on "Enrollment/Re-Enrollment."
- If your family is new to Ursuline, follow these instructions to create a My Backpack account to submit your Enrollment Agreement.
- Download the Class of 2022 Registration Checklist or Transfer Student Registration Checklist to ensure you have completed all necessary steps for enrollment
When submitting the online Enrollment Agreement, you will be prompted to pay the Enrollment Deposit of $1,000 via eCheck for $500 tuition deposit, $450 laptop insurance, and $50 parent activity fee.
- Download the ACH/Automatic Debit Authorization form.
- View the Ursuline Tuition and Fees for the 2018-19 school year.
Ursuline offers four languages to study: Arabic, French, Mandarin Chinese, and Spanish. It is a graduation requirement to take three consecutive years of the same language beginning freshman year. Incoming freshmen may select any of the four world languages as their first choice. Learn more about selecting a World Language and review the World Language Course Progression Chart.
- If Spanish is selected as the student’s first choice, a Spanish Assessment is required. An exemption to this assessment is only for those students who selected Spanish and have never previously studied it. The Spanish Assessment is offered April 24 or April 26 from 4:30-5:30 p.m. or 5:30-6:30 p.m. Register for the Spanish Assessment by Friday, April 6, by logging into your Ursuline application on Ravenna.
- If Arabic, French, or Mandarin Chinese is selected as the student’s first choice, students are automatically placed into a regular level one class. All level one regular language courses are basic introductory courses. If a student wishes to enroll in a course higher than level one, an assessment is required to properly place the student. Email Maluza Escamilla at email@example.com to schedule the assessment on either April 24 or April 26 starting at 4:30 p.m.
Course Placement results will be emailed Friday, May 18. For questions, contact Maluza Escamilla, World Languages Department Chair, at firstname.lastname@example.org.
The English Department considers a student’s ISEE scores, teacher recommendations, previous English grades, and application essay to determine in which English course the student will be most successful. There is no additional assessment required.
Students will have the opportunity to apply for honors or AP classes in the following three years should this be of interest to them. The criteria the department uses for freshmen English placement is not used in the subsequent applications for sophomore-senior year AP and Honors English. Learn more about the English Department Progression Chart.
Course placement will be emailed Friday, May 18. For questions, please contact Kathleen Schenck, English Department Chair, at email@example.com.
If your daughter would like to enroll in a Math or Science Honors course as a freshman, the Honors Math/Science Assessment is required. The Math and Science Departments use this assessment to best understand the student’s mathematical and scientific thinking. Learn more about the Honors Math and Science Assessment, Math Department Progression Chart and Science Department Progression Chart to evaluate if your daughter is interested in Math or Science Honors.
The Honors Math/Science Assessment is administered by the Mathematics and Science Departments on Saturday, April 21, from 9:00-11:30 a.m. Students should bring pencils and a calculator. Register for the Honors Math/Science Assessment by Friday, April 6, by logging into your Ursuline application on Ravenna.
Course Placement results will be emailed Friday, May 18. For questions, contact Tammy Yung, Mathematics Department Chair, at firstname.lastname@example.org or Maureen Sullivan, Science Department Chair, at email@example.com.
Supporting Student Learning Styles
Each year, Ursuline Academy of Dallas welcomes a new student body with a variety of learning styles and challenges. In an effort to provide for each student, including those with learning differences or ADD/ADHD, Ursuline offers limited accommodations to support academic success. If your daughter has a documented learning difference or ADD/ADHD, the following accommodations will be available to her while at Ursuline Academy:
- 50% extended time on tests, quizzes, in class essays, mid-term exams and final exams
- Preferential seating to accommodate individual learning needs
How to receive accommodations at Ursuline:
- The student must have current testing (within the past three years) from a licensed professional counselor or educational diagnostician (Doctor’s notes do not satisfy this criteria)
- The evaluation must include both a cognitive and achievement test
- Email documentation by August 13, 2018, to the Personal Counselor, Mary Campise, at firstname.lastname@example.org
- After the documentation is reviewed, a Personal Counselor will set up an accommodation plan meeting with the parents and student in September.
If you have any questions about your daughter’s specific needs, please contact Mary Campise at 469-232-1877. If you need assistance or have questions after May 31, please contact Rebekah Gilbert at 469-232-1803.
Follow these helpful guidelines.
Ursuline will have a tax-free opportunity to purchase your Microsoft Surface Book on Saturday, August 4.
Bring these essentials to the Used Book Sale.
The Book & Uniform Drop-Off is Friday, August 3.
Students may use any mobile device to access ebooks in the Overdrive collection.
The deadline for this mandatory survey is Monday, June 11.
My BackPack is an important online resource at Ursuline Academy of Dallas.
Ursuline has served at hundreds of service locations around the Dallas/Ft. Worth area.
Students entering Ursuline as a sophomore or junior will receive two mentors from their respective grade level.
New Student Downloads & Links
- Enrollment, Tuition, and Financial Information
- Course Placement and Assessment for Incoming Freshman
- Dates and General Information
- Courses and Summer School