Publications News: Honors and Recognitions
The publication staffs of the Bear Facts newspaper and Acres yearbook have had a busy year.
Here are just some of the highlights:
- The Dallas Morning News recently announced the selection of junior Sarah Hui as one of three high school interns chosen from applicants throughout the Dallas metroplex. Sarah will work with News reporters and editors on a variety of assignments this summer.
- Senior Isabella Jaar will receive special recognition for her complete re-design of the school's online newspaper. A log-in to theuabearfacts.com reveals the professional and complete job she has done to update and distinguish the website.
- Recently, 28 staff members were inducted into Quill and Scroll, an international journalism honor society. Those inducted maintained a high-grade point average as well as served in leadership positions on newspaper or yearbook. Newspaper inductees include seniors Catherine Cook, Ruth Anne Emerson, Sofia Garcia, Isabella Jaar, Jamie Lin, Gracie Moll, and Emily Parrish.
- Juniors Helen Emerson, Sarah Hui, Kate Janson, Emilea McCutchan, Abbigail Mihalic, Sarah Nguyen, Brooke Norman, Grace Risinger, Bethany Roberts, Jackie Thomas, and Hope Whitcraft join sophomore Ellie Skelly for newspaper.
- Yearbook seniors to add the pin to their blazers are seniors Chloe Boyter, Paulina Hernandez, Madi Marroquin, Pauline Le, and Priscilla Sulli. Juniors Kate Guajardo, Namisha Kaur, Bella Protacio, and sophomore Phaedra Sulli complete this list.
- Additionally, seniors Priscilla Sulli, Sofia Garcia, and Ruth Anne Emerson will be honored at graduation with Certificates from the National Scholastic Press Association as Outstanding Journalists who have served on their publication staff for at least two years and have maintained an overall 3.5 GPA.
- Several rising seniors, juniors, and sophomores will accompany Mrs. Melinda Smith, publications adviser, to the well-renowned Gloria Shields Journalism Workshop in late June. They'll participate in helpful workshops with specialists to prepare for another successful year.